July 10, 11 and 12, 2015
********** NEW INFORMATION AS OF 12/15/14*******
Fastpitch Showdowns is
excited to announce that we will host a "Player Development and Recruiting Clinic"
at the Buckeye Showdown RecruitFest in
2015. The clinic will take place Thursday July 9th from approximately
9am to 5pm. We will have college coaches and assistants in
to instruct the players on the skills that college coaches are looking
potential recruits, followed in the afternoon by games coached by
the college coaches (while still giving them instructions). This
being done in other parts of the country, and we are proud to offer it
players in the Midwest. In addition to the instructors, there will be
college coaches in attendance observing the clinic and games looking for
recruits. Players register to play a specific position in the Clinic. Space is limited by position. We
will accept a maximum of 160 players in the Clinic - 32 @ Pitcher, 16 @
Catcher, 16 @ 1st Base, 16 @ 2nd Base, 16 @ Shortstop, 16 @ 3rd Base and 48 @
Outfield. For additional preliminary
information on the Clinic, please go to our Player Development and Recruiting Clinic Page.
and Colleges confirmed as of 3/17/15 - Many other colleges and
universities have been contacted and the coaches have expressed their
interest but will not know their recruiting schedule until some time in
May. This list is subject to change. We will update this list as more
- Ashland University
- Ohio Christian University
- Wittenberg University
of Pittsburgh at Bradford
- College of Wooster
- Denison University
- Gannon University
- Walsh University
- University of Northwest
- Depauw University
- Urbana University
- Lake Erie
- University of Findlay
We feel the Buckeye Showdown RecruitFest presents the best chance in the Midwest for
your team to be exposed to college coaches in a tournament format. Lou
Berliner Park offers the college coaches a chance to see multiple
players and teams in one location without having to go from complex to
complex. Berliner Park also has homerun fences on all 31 fields which
it a more realistic and more enjoyable tournament for the girls.
Please note that the tournament is for 12U, 14U, 16U and 18U only. The 14U, 16U, and 18U are the primary age groups that the college coaches said they were interested in, and this tournament is build around the wishes of the college coaches. And we have added the 12U division to give the younger players the exposure and experience of a true college recruiting tournament at the same complex.
ATTENTION ALL 14U, 16U and 18U Coaches - At the multiple
requests of College Coaches, we are compiling a tournament player
database for all of the College Coaches so they can better recruit your
players. It is a REQUIREMENT for entry in this tournament that every player on your roster is added to this database. The form will be available June 1st and this information must be submitted by June 30th. The reason the form will not be available before this is because of the numerous changes in the roster and the information required that may occur between your conformation for the tournament and June 1. We feel that by June 1st most rosters and information are correct. If we do not have this information on ALL of your players by June 30th, they may be removed from the tournament. There is no cost
to you and this is the best way for the College Coaches to be aware of
your team and who is on it.
- Buckeye Showdown RecruitFest Player Profile Form - This will be posted by June 1st.
As with all Fastpitch Showdowns, pool play games will be 90 minutes long which gives you a better chance to get in a full game. And with 3 games minimum at that length for each team at 14U, 16U and 18U, you know that, win or lose, your girls will enjoy plenty of softball and college coach exposure and make your weekend worthwhile. Your bracket play games will be 80 minutes long. The 12U tournament will have the standard 4 pool play games Friday and Saturday and single elimination on Sunday.
- Buckeye Showdown RecruitFest Format - for 14U, 16U and 18U
The 2015 Buckeye Showdown RecruitFest will take 48 teams at 14u, 112 teams at 16u and 48 teams at 18u. This makes it the biggest recruiting tournament east of the Mississippi. We will use the following format which was developed by college
coaches to make it a better recruiting experience for themselves and the
prospective college recruits. It is the same format used at the NFCA college
recruiting tournaments in Florida and Texas.
- The RecruitFest will start with the All Star games
on Thursday, July 9 at 6pm. Each team can nominate up to 4 players for the All Star games based on the players
on-field and off field accomplishments. The cost of the games will be $50 per
player and includes an All-Star game jersey. Nominations will be accepted
through June 17, 2015 and players will be notified of their acceptance (or
rejection) by June 26 (NOT BEFORE). They will then have until July 1st to pay and accept or
decline the nomination. No money should be submitted until they are notified of
their acceptance, and payment instructions will be sent to them
then. Players that were not accepted will also be notified by June 26 (NOT BEFORE).
Each team will play 3 pool games on Friday and
Saturday with bracket play starting Saturday afternoon. There will be a
mandatory pre-game warm-up prior to each pool game with on-field skills
being showcased (basically infield/outfield practice). Click here for the pre-game warm up format.
At the completion of pool play all teams will then
be seeded and placed into brackets. For each age group there will be 4 divisions
- Gold (1st Place in Pool), Silver (2nd Place in Pool), Bronze (3rd Place in Pool), and Copper (4th Place in Pool). Teams will be placed into brackets based on
their won/loss record, head-to-head, then runs allowed, then runs scored ( max of 7 runs
scored per game ). If still tied a coin flip will determine winner. The
teams will then play two games within their respective brackets to determine an
overall winner of each super pool. Each super pool will consist of 4 teams who
had the same finish in their respective pool. All teams (except 4 teams)
will play Sunday at the request of college coaches that can not make Friday or
Saturday games. Only the winners of the Gold super pools will play on to
determine the overall winner of the tournament at each age group. If you do not
win your pool, you can not be the winner of the overall tournament. However
the winners of each Silver, Bronze and Copper super pool will receive
ribbons that can be picked up by their coach at headquarters. The winner and
finalist in the Gold division super pool play-offs will receive medals and an
award presentation immediately following their final game.
- The 14U, 16U and 18U divisions will be allowed to wear metal cleats on all fields including the turf fields. Berliner Park has made this exception for our tournament. HOWEVER BERLINER PARK DOES REQUIRE THAT ALL PITCHERS WHO PITCH ON TURF FIELDS (FIELDS 1, 4, 5, 10-17) CANNOT WEAR METAL CLEATS WHILE PITCHING. TURF CLEATS, PLASTIC CLEATS, RUBBER CLEATS AND SNEAKERS ARE ALLOWED.
- We are proud to be part of the ASA Heartland College Showcase Series this year. This series consists of individually run ASA events that offer some of the best exposure to college coaches in the country. For more information, check out www.asaheartlandseries.org.
- Buckeye Showdown RecruitFest Format - for 12U only
- All teams will play 4 pool games Friday and Saturday. Each team will then be seeded in bracket play depending on their record. The top half of each pool will go in to a Platinum bracket and will play a single elimination tournament. The lower half of each pool will go into a separate Gold division bracket and play a separate single elimination tournament. These brackets will NOT meet. The first and second place teams in each bracket will receive championship medals. All teams will be able to bat their entire line-up and freely substitute in the field. These rules and format are used to give the teams the opportunity to give the maximum number of players a chance to play.
- IMPORTANT NEW INFORMATION - HOTEL POLICY FOR ALL COLUMBUS OHIO FASTPITCH SHOWDOWNS
of Columbus and Berliner Park have implemented a new "Heads in Beds"
program in 2015 for their Baseball, Fastpitch, and Adult Softball tournaments.
They are doing it to more accurately reflect the number of visitors and
participants they have in their various events, and the economic impact they
have on the city. They use this information, and other information, in
determining their funding from the City for improvements to the Park. They
experimented with it last year, and there were numerous delays for many of the
teams at registration as we had to get the correct information for them. This
year the gathering of the proper information DIRECTLY affects the cost of the
fields for us, which DIRECTLY affects the cost of your entry fee. To keep the entry
fees at a minimum, we are going to do the following --
happy to introduce our new partnership with Traveling Teams. They will be
assisting all out of town teams with hotel lodging. Our new partnership entails
that all teams must use their service in order to compete in the event. Traveling
Teams eliminates all of the hassles that team managers endure when making hotel
arrangements. They completely eliminate the time that comes with looking for
the right hotels, seeking hotel availability, and the negotiation process.
Along with all of that, they guarantee the best availabile group rate to all
team is considered to be within a 70 mile radius to the tournament fields. If
you fall within that guideline, please confirm that with Traveling Teams. That
information goes back into tournaments hands for proper tracking purposes.
To request a block of rooms, please click on the link here. It is a very
simple process that will only take you a few minutes.
After you have submitted your
request, a team travel coordinator will get back with you further discuss your
Due to the increase in the amount of teams we have entering into the
tournament, we feel Traveling Teams will be the best fit to help alleviate all
of the headaches that come with booking hotels. Especially for the teams that
are new to the tournament and new to traveling. The best part of this
partnership will save you hours of time and money.
Thank you again for your understanding and patience as we implement the
Columbus "Heads in Beds" program. We look forward to the 2015
Fastpitch Showcase season!
- Buckeye Showdown RecruitFest Entry Form - Fastpitch Showdowns does not accept entry into any
tournament without a completed entry form and at least a $100 deposit. We do accept credit cards for
payment. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- College Coaches that are Registered to Attend the 2015 Buckeye Showdown RecruitFest - will be updated continuously beginning February 1st.
- Buckeye Showdown RecruitFest Rules - These are the tentative rules for the tournament. Final rules will be in the coach's packet which must picked up at registration at the start of the tournament.
- The City of Columbus charges an admission fee of $5 a day per vehicle.
- Directions to the fields - Lou Berliner Park, 325 Greenlawn Ave, Columbus OH 43223
are proud to host the tournament at the Lou Berliner Park in Columbus,
Ohio. The complex is the largest in the United States, with 31 fields
all in one location. You do not have to park out in front and walk to
the fields as the complex has adequate parking close to each field!!
Berliner Park and the City of Columbus Parks and Recreation Department
is proud of their reputation in the fastpitch community and continues to
make improvements. As of 2014, Berliner Park will have 11 turf fields (called FieldTurf
- the same surface that has been installed at the University of
Louisville) which will make
more turf fields than any single location in the United States. This
will allow even more teams to play immediately after rain stops. It is
the next step in their long range plan of continuous improvements to the
At Fastpitch Showdowns, we believe in the safety of all
players comes first. All of our
tournament staff is certified in the CDC Concussion Training Course. Because we realize many coaches would like to
be more knowledgeable about the developments in this area, we are happy to
provide a link to the FREE CDC Heads Up Online Concussion Training Course. Hopefully you will find this beneficial and
we encourage all those involved with fastpitch softball to use this valuable
- Local Resources and Attractions