Welcome to the Capitol City 7 Game Guarantee Showdown!
June 3, 4 and 5, 2016
Because this tournament is early in June, MAKE SURE your team will be available to play at the following times before you sign up.
- 16U and 14U teams MUST BE ABLE TO PLAY AT 11:45AM ON FRIDAY JUNE 3RD.
- 18U AND 12U MUST BE ABLE TO PLAY AT 3:15PM FRIDAY JUNE 3RD.
This is because all teams are guaranteed 7 games and 3 days are necessary. After the schedule has been sent out, THERE WILL BE NO CHANGES FOR ANY REASON (because your players still have school, because of snow days, etc). Refunds will not be issued - you will just have to play less games. And any team that does not play all 7 games for any reason (except due to rain during the tournament) will not be able to play in the championship game. If you are not sure of your school schedule, PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THE TOURNAMENT UNTIL YOU ARE SURE.
Fastpitch Showdowns is
excited to announce that we will again host a "Player Development and Recruiting Clinic"
at the Capitol City Showdown in
2016. The clinic will take place Thursday June 2nd from approximately
9am to 5pm. We will have college coaches and assistants in
to instruct the players on the skills that college coaches are looking
potential recruits, followed in the afternoon by games coached by
the college coaches (while still giving them instructions). This
being done in other parts of the country, and we are proud to offer it
players in the Midwest. Players register to play a specific position in the Clinic. Space is limited by position. We
will accept a maximum of 80 players in the Clinic - 16 @ Pitcher, 8 @
Catcher, 8 @ 1st Base, 8 @ 2nd Base, 8 @ Shortstop, 8 @ 3rd Base and 24 @
Outfield. For additional preliminary
information on the Clinic, please go to our Player Development and Recruiting Clinic Page.
- Universities and Colleges that participated in 2015.
- Hillsdale College
- Ohio Christian University
- University of
Pittsburgh at Bradford
- Denison University
- Oberlin University
- Walsh University
- University of Northwest Ohio
- Lake Erie
- Ferris State
- Ohio Dominican University
- Schools participating in the 2016 Clinic will be posted as they confirm beginning April 1st.
With a guaranteed 7 games for all teams (except 10u teams who get 5 games guaranteed for $430), 90 minute games,
being able to bat up to your entire lineup, free substitution in the field, games no earlier than 11:45am on Friday and no later than 6:00pm on Sunday and pool winners advancing, we promise a good time for all.
So we invite you to come to a fun and competitive softball event.
- Capitol City Showdown Format - Each of the winners of the two pools from each age group will advance to a championship game. These will be the only 2 teams from each age group that will advance as there will be no bracket play. PLEASE TELL YOUR PLAYERS AND PARENTS THAT ONLY 10 TEAMS IN THE ENTIRE TOURNAMENT WILL MAKE IT TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP AND PLAY 8 GAMES, AS WE DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO BE DISAPPOINTED. This allows almost every team to know when and where their games are the entire weekend and therefore make travel and other plans accordingly. With the ability to bat the entire line-up and free substitution in the field, it is a perfect format for teams to experiment with what they have and determine how they will play the rest of the year.
- The 14U, 16U and 18U divisions will be allowed to wear metal cleats on all fields including the turf fields. Berliner Park has made this exception for our tournament. HOWEVER BERLINER PARK DOES REQUIRE THAT ALL PITCHERS WHO PITCH ON TURF FIELDS (FIELDS 1, 4, 5, 10-17) CANNOT WEAR METAL CLEATS WHILE PITCHING. TURF CLEATS, PLASTIC CLEATS, RUBBER CLEATS AND SNEAKERS ARE ALLOWED.
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION - HOTEL POLICY FOR ALL COLUMBUS OHIO FASTPITCH SHOWDOWNS
- The City
of Columbus and Berliner Park has implemented a "Heads in Beds"
program for their Baseball, Fastpitch, and Adult Softball tournaments.
They are doing it to more accurately reflect the number of visitors and
participants they have in their various events, and the economic impact they
have on the city. They use this information, and other information, in
determining their funding from the City for improvements to the Park. This
year the gathering of the proper information DIRECTLY affects the cost of the
fields for us, which DIRECTLY affects the cost of your entry fee. To keep the entry
fees at a minimum, we are doing the following --
- All teams (except local teams) must go through our approved travel partner - Traveling Teams - to book their lodging in order to participate in the tournament. Traveling
Teams eliminates all of the hassles that team managers endure when making hotel
arrangements. They completely eliminate the time that comes with looking for
the right hotels, seeking hotel availability, and the negotiation process.
Along with all of that, they guarantee the best available group rate for the same type of room and accommodation to all
participating teams. On their web site they have a list of over 30 hotels, with varying prices and accommodations. So you are almost sure to find one that fits your needs. If you do not find a hotel that fits your needs, please click on their option to pick your own hotel and Traveling Teams will make every effort to include that hotel in their list of approved hotels.
- A local
team is considered to be within a 70 mile radius to the tournament fields. If
you fall within that guideline, please confirm that with Traveling Teams. That
information goes back to the City of Columbus for proper tracking purposes.
- To request a block of rooms, please click on the link here. It is a very
simple process that will only take you a few minutes.
- After you have submitted your
request, a team travel coordinator will get back with you further discuss your
- Due to the increase in the amount of teams we have entering into the
tournament, we feel Traveling Teams will be the best fit to help alleviate all
of the headaches that come with booking hotels. Especially for the teams that
are new to the tournament and new to traveling. The best part of this
partnership will save you hours of time and money.
- Capitol City Showdown Entry Form - Fastpitch Showdowns does not accept entry into any
tournament without a completed entry form and at least a $100 deposit. We do accept credit cards for
payment. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Capitol City Showdown Rules - These are the rules from last year's tournament. They will be substantively the same. Final rules will
be in the coach's packet which must picked up at registration at the
start of the tournament.
- Lou Berliner Park, 325 Greenlawn Ave, Columbus OH 43223
are proud to host the tournament at the Lou Berliner Park in Columbus,
Ohio. The complex is the largest in the United States, with 31 fields
all in one location. You do not have to park out in front and walk to
the fields as the complex has adequate parking close to each field!!
Berliner Park and the City of Columbus Parks and Recreation Department
is proud of their reputation in the fastpitch community and continues to
make improvements. Among other things, they have 11 turf fields (called FieldTurf
- the same surface that has been installed at the University of
Louisville) which will make
more turf fields than any single location in the Midwest. This
will allow even more teams to play immediately after the rain stops. It is
the next step in their long range plan of continuous improvements to the
Park. In 2016, metal cleats will be allowed on both the turf and dirt fields at the 14U, 16U and 18U divisions - with the exception of pitchers on the turf fields. PITCHERS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO WEAR METAL CLEATS WHEN PITCHING ON TURF FIELDS. TURF SHOES, PLASTIC CLEATS, RUBBER CLEATS AND SNEAKERS ARE PERMITTED.
- At Fastpitch Showdowns, we believe in the safety of all
players comes first. All of our
tournament staff is certified in the CDC Concussion Training Course. Because we realize many coaches would like to
be more knowledgeable about the developments in this area, we are happy to
provide a link to the FREE CDC Heads Up Online Concussion Training Course. Hopefully you will find this beneficial and
we encourage all those involved with fastpitch softball to use this valuable
- Local Resources
- Teams Registered - Team lists will be updated on or about the 1st and 15th of the month beginning January 15th.
- If, as in every previous year, the tournament sells out, all schedules and pools will be emailed to the coaches at least 30 days before the tournament. If you believe you are registered for the tournament and you have not received the schedule by then, please let us know.