Because of numerous requests, we are moving to an online registration and payment format in 2017. Because we are getting this set up, registrations and payments will not be available until October 1st. However we wanted to let you know our 2017 tournament and clinic schedule as soon as it was confirmed. All other information (except for registration) has been updated below for 2017.
Welcome to the Capital City 7 Game Guarantee Showdown!June 2, 3 and 4, 2017
Because this tournament is early in June, MAKE SURE your team will be available to play at 11:45am Friday June 2nd before you sign up.
This is because all teams are guaranteed 7 games and 3 days are necessary. After the schedule has been sent out, THERE WILL BE NO CHANGES FOR ANY REASON (because your players still have school, because of snow days, etc). Refunds will not be issued - you will just have to play less games. And any team that does not play all 7 games for any reason (except due to rain during the tournament) will not be able to play in the championship game. If you are not sure of your school schedule, PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THE TOURNAMENT UNTIL YOU ARE SURE.
With a guaranteed 7 games for all teams (except 10u teams who get 5 games guaranteed for $460), 90 minute games,
being able to bat up to your entire lineup, free substitution in the field, pool games no earlier than 11:45am on Friday and no later than 6:00pm on Sunday and pool winners advancing, we promise a good time for all.
So we invite you to come to a fun and competitive softball event.
*********** EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENT FOR 2017 *************
year we're very excited to announce something new for all Fastpitch Showdown
tournaments. This year we have reached an agreement with the National Fastpitch
Coaches Association (NFCA) to offer all coaches (at 8U, 10U,
12U, 14U and 16U) who sign up for a Fastpitch Showdowns tournament before April 1st and who are not
already NFCA members, a complimentary one-year trial membership in NFCA !
We feel the NFCA is by far the best organization working to grow softball, and
the benefits of a membership are many (click here for a list of benefits). Most
importantly, we feel the many opportunities they offer to make you a better
coach – drills, educational videos and books, instructional manuals, monthly
tips, practice plans, coaches clinics, exclusive "Coaching Tools",
etc. – will help grow the sport of softball in our area, and make your
experience as a coach more effective and more enjoyable. As a coach you are a
teacher first, and they offer the knowledge and experience for you to continue
to grow. It is up to you to take advantage of what they offer, but we wanted to
give all of the coaches that participate in our tournaments the opportunity to
membership will be activated during the first 2 weeks of the month
following your Fastpitch Showdown Tournament registration and will be
good for 1 year.
- Lou Berliner Park, 325 Greenlawn Ave, Columbus OH 43223
- Capital City Showdown Format - Each of the winners of the two pools from each age group will advance to a championship game. These will be the only 2 teams from each age group that will advance as there will be no bracket play. PLEASE TELL YOUR PLAYERS AND PARENTS THAT ONLY 10 TEAMS IN THE ENTIRE TOURNAMENT WILL MAKE IT TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP AND PLAY 8 GAMES, AS WE DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO BE DISAPPOINTED. This allows almost every team to know when and where their games are the entire weekend and therefore make travel and other plans accordingly. With the ability to bat the entire line-up and free substitution in the field, it is a perfect format for teams to experiment with what they have and determine how they will play the rest of the year.
- The 14U, 16U and 18U divisions will be allowed to wear metal cleats on all fields including the turf fields. Berliner Park has made this exception for our tournament. HOWEVER BERLINER PARK DOES REQUIRE THAT ALL PITCHERS WHO PITCH ON TURF FIELDS (FIELDS 1, 4, 5, 10-17) CANNOT WEAR METAL CLEATS WHILE PITCHING. TURF CLEATS, PLASTIC CLEATS, RUBBER CLEATS AND SNEAKERS ARE ALLOWED.
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION - HOTEL POLICY FOR ALL COLUMBUS OHIO FASTPITCH SHOWDOWNS
- The City
of Columbus and Berliner Park have a "Heads in Beds"
program for all of their tournaments - Baseball, Fastpitch and Adult Softball.
They are doing it to more accurately reflect the number of visitors and
participants they have in their various events, and the economic impact they
have on the city. They use this information, and other information, in
determining their funding from the City for improvements to the Park. The gathering of the proper information DIRECTLY affects the cost of the
fields for us, which DIRECTLY affects the cost of your entry fee. To keep the entry
fees at a minimum, the following is required --
- All teams (except local teams - those within a 70 mile radius of the park) must go through their approved travel partner - Team Inn - to book their lodging in order to participate in the tournament. This is a different travel coordinator from 2016 and the City of Columbus and Berliner Park feel that Team Inn will be better able to help the out of town teams. Team Inn eliminates all of the hassles that team managers endure when making hotel
arrangements. They completely eliminate the time that comes with looking for
the right hotels, seeking hotel availability, and the negotiation process.
Along with all of that, they guarantee the best available group rate for the same type of room and accommodation to all
participating teams. On their web site they have a list of over 25 hotels, with varying prices and accommodations. So you are almost sure to find one that fits your needs. But if you have specific hotel in mind that is not listed, please contact Kim at Team Inn - 440-539-4738.
- A local
team is considered to be within a 70 mile radius to the tournament fields. If
you fall within that guideline, please confirm that with Team Inn. That
information goes back to the City of Columbus for proper tracking purposes.
- To book a block of rooms, please click on the link here. It is a very
simple process that will only take you a few minutes.
- Booking team hotel rooms through Team Inn is a requirement of our contract with the City of Columbus. Any non-local team that does not abide by this requirement will not be permitted to participate in the tournament by the City of Columbus and will be removed from the tournament.
- Capitol City Showdown Entry Form - Will be posted by October 1st.
- 10u - 5GG - $460 / 12u-18u - 7GG - $515
- Capitol City Showdown Rules - These are the rules from last year's tournament. They will be substantively the same. Final rules will
be in the coach's packet which must picked up at registration at the
start of the tournament.
- Lou Berliner Park, 325 Greenlawn Ave, Columbus OH 43223
are proud to host the tournament at the Lou Berliner Park in Columbus,
Ohio. The complex is the largest in the United States, with 31 fields
all in one location. You do not have to park out in front and walk to
the fields as the complex has adequate parking close to each field!!
Berliner Park and the City of Columbus Parks and Recreation Department
is proud of their reputation in the fastpitch community and continues to
make improvements. Among other things, they have 11 turf fields (called FieldTurf
- the same surface that has been installed at the University of
Louisville) which will make
more turf fields than any single location in the Midwest. This
will allow even more teams to play immediately after the rain stops. It is
the next step in their long range plan of continuous improvements to the
Park. In 2016, metal cleats will be allowed on both the turf and dirt fields at the 14U, 16U and 18U divisions - with the exception of pitchers on the turf fields. PITCHERS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO WEAR METAL CLEATS WHEN PITCHING ON TURF FIELDS. TURF SHOES, PLASTIC CLEATS, RUBBER CLEATS AND SNEAKERS ARE PERMITTED.
- At Fastpitch Showdowns, we believe in the safety of all
players comes first. All of our
tournament staff is certified in the CDC Concussion Training Course. Because we realize many coaches would like to
be more knowledgeable about the developments in this area, we are happy to
provide a link to the FREE CDC Heads Up Online Concussion Training Course. Hopefully you will find this beneficial and
we encourage all those involved with fastpitch softball to use this valuable
- Local Resources
- Team lists will be updated on or about the 1st and 15th of the month beginning January 15th.
- If, as in every previous year, the tournament sells out, all schedules and pools will be emailed to the coaches at least 30 days before the tournament. If you believe you are registered for the tournament and you have not received the schedule by then, please let us know.